What does Ouellette Engineering not do?

Ouellette Engineering prepares engineering documents for residential & commercial remodels, new construction, and industrial projects.

However, there are some of the types of projects that we do not do. These include:

  • Geo-techincal engineering
  • Architectural design
  • Special inspections (we can however, do engineering observation reports)
  • Submit permits; and our fees do not include permit fees
  • Large scale projects, including: new apartments, condominiums, hospitals, high rises, etc. 
  • Bridges of any size
  • Civil engineering: water-detention facilities, dams, underground utilities, roads, driveways, site-development grading
  • Land surveying
  • Work outside of the state of Oregon
  • Stamp other professionals’ documents/drawings/calculations
  • Share engineering responsibilities/duties with other firms
  • Drafting with other programs aside from AutoCAD
  • Pre-cast concrete

Do you need an Engineer or an Architect?

The time has come. After months (maybe even years) of putting it off, you decide you are ready to start on a new building project… 

So the question comes up: Do you need an architect, or an engineer? Well, that depends on the size and scope of the work. An architect or designer is generally not needed to build a retaining wall, remove a beam, or upgrade and install a patio cover over a deck.

At Ouellette Engineering, we often get requests to help with a residential project…but, alas, it may be missing an architectural design. If you don’t have a detailed architectural design ready to go, then the structural engineering drawings/calculations cannot get started yet. 

But don’t worry. If you don’t have architectural design skills – then your first step is to find a suitable local architect or designer who can help you put your dreams to paper/drawings. Residential architects or designers will help you develop a plan. At Ouellette Engineering, we are happy to provide referrals for architects, contractors, designers, and other professionals – as requested. Your local building department can usually supply a list of architects, contractors, and designers as well. 

Architectural projects can take a couple weeks or months for basic designs. For a brand new building or complete remodel, you should expect at least two months to complete the design phase.

Once you have a building plan drawn up, then a structural engineer can get involved. At Ouellette Engineering, most of our projects take somewhere between a few hours to a few weeks to complete – depending on the complexity of the project. Rarely do structural engineering plans/calculations take longer than five weeks to complete.

Whether your residential project is large or small, we’re happy to assist you and point you in the right direction.